Shredo is a beautiful, functional file-shredding utility. It permanently shreds files, folders, and external volumes’ contents to keep information secure and impossible for anyone to retrieve. Depending on security level and data-erase speed, you have 3 shredding methods at your disposal:
- 1-pass – Offers good security and quickest erase of data. It deletes access information to your files and writes random bytes over the data once.
- 7-pass – Slower speed, but better security than 1-pass. Writes over data 7 times, based on US Department of Defence (DoD) 5220-20 M standard algorithms.
- 35-pass – Slowest, but offers the best security. Erases file access info and writes over the data 35 times, based on the Gutmann method for deletion.
- Some Catalina optimizations
- Note: Secure Empty Trash feature now requires you to enable Full Disk Access permission on MacOS Catalina. As soon as you click that button, Shredo will tell you what to do.
OS X 10.10 or later, 64-bit processor