macOS Catalina gives you more of everything you love about Mac. Experience three all-new media apps: Apple Music, Apple TV, and Apple Podcasts. Locate a missing Mac with the new Find My app. And now coming to Mac, your favorite iPad apps. You can even extend your desktop using iPad as a second display. Now you can take everything you do above and beyond.
- Stream and download over 50 million songs with an Apple Music subscription.
- Access the iTunes Store to purchase songs or albums.
- Find all the music you’ve purchased, downloaded, or imported from CDs organized in the improved library.
- Buy or rent the latest movie releases.
- Subscribe to Apple TV channels to watch popular shows on demand and ad-free, online or off.
- Start watching on one device and pick up where you left off on any of your other devices, including Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, and compatible smart TVs.
- Find podcasts by title, topic, guest, host, and content.
- Subscribe to your favorite podcasts to receive the latest episodes automatically.
- Begin listening to an episode on your Mac, then seamlessly resume on your iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch when you’re on the go.
Syncing and backup
- Sync content and back up, update, and restore software from the Finder when you connect your iPhone or iPad to your Mac.
App Store with Apple Arcade
- Play 100+ groundbreaking new games with one subscription — no ads or additional purchases.
- Browse the latest games, personalized recommendations, and exclusive editorial content in the all-new Arcade tab on the App Store.
- Enjoy games across iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV.
- Enjoy a new class of Mac apps built from your favorite iPad titles.
- Expand your Mac workspace by using your iPad as a second display.
- Place one app on each screen, or put your main canvas on your Mac and your tools and palettes on your iPad.
- Use Apple Pencil for tablet input when using your favorite creative pro Mac apps.
Continuity Sketch and Markup
- Create a sketch on your iPad or iPhone and insert it into any document on your Mac.
- Use your iPad or iPhone to sign a PDF or mark up a screenshot on your Mac.
- Control your Mac entirely with your voice using Voice Control.
- Enable Hover Text to display large, high-resolution text in a dedicated window.
- Zoom in closely on one screen when using two displays for improved legibility with Zoom Display.
- Feel secure knowing that the apps you use have been checked by Apple for known malware.
- Authorize access to data when apps request it using new data protections.
- Keep track of your devices and find friends and family with an easy-to-use new app.
- Help locate devices even if they’re not connected to Wi-Fi or cellular.
- Use Activation Lock to protect Mac models with the Apple T2 Security Chip.
- Enjoy a new immersive, dynamic experience that showcases your best photos and memories.
- View Memory Movies and edit their duration, mood, and title.
- Browse using an updated start page that surfaces sites from your history, bookmarks, reading list, iCloud Tabs, and even links sent to you in Messages.
- Help secure your accounts using h5 passwords suggested by Safari.
- View notes as visual thumbnails in gallery view.
- Enjoy a more powerful search that recognizes text in items you’ve scanned and objects within images.
- Share an entire folder of notes using shared folders.
- Use new edit buttons to add dates, locations, flags, attachments, and more to reminders.
- Take control of your inbox by muting a thread, blocking a sender, or unsubscribing from a mailing list.
- Gain insight into time spent using apps and websites and set usage limits.
- Set up Family Sharing to use Screen Time with your family’s devices.
macOS 10.15.b1 Catalina supports the following models:
- MacBook: Early 2015 or Newer
- MacBook Air: Mid 2012 or Newer
- MacBook Pro: Mid 2012 or Newer
- Mac Mini: Late 2012 or newer
- iMac: Late 2012 or newer
- iMac Pro
- Mac Pro: Late 2013 or later
Enabling the installation of third-party applications.
sudo spctl --master-disable
Creating a bootable flash drive. Where USB is your USB flash drive, in Mac OS Extended (Magazine) format of at least 9 Gb.
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB
- Over 70 new or updated emoji, including animals, food, activities, new accessibility emoji, gender neutral emoji, and skin tones selection for couple emoji
- Introduces support for AirPods Pro
- HomeKit Secure Video enables you to privately capture, store, and view encrypted video from your security cameras and features people, animal, and vehicle detection
- HomeKit enabled routers let you control how your HomeKit accessories communicate over the internet or in your home
- Adds support for AirPlay 2-enabled speakers in scenes and automations
- Privacy settings to control whether or not to help improve Siri and Dictation by allowing Apple to store audio of your Siri and Dictation interactions
- Option to delete your Siri and Dictation history from Siri Settings
This update also includes the following bug fixes and improvements:
- Restores the ability to view file names in the All Photos view in Photos
- Restores the ability to filter by favorites, photos, videos, edited, and keywords in Days view in Photos
- Fixes an issue where Messages would only send a single notification when the option to repeat alerts was enabled
- Resolves an issue that caused Contacts to launch to the previously opened contact instead of the contact list
- Adds a two-finger swipe gesture for back navigation in Apple News
- Resolves issues that may occur in the Music app when displaying playlists inside folders and newly added songs in the Songs list
- Improves reliability of migrating iTunes library databases into the Music, Podcasts, and TV apps
- Fixes an issue where downloaded titles were not visible in the Downloads folder in the TV app
macOS 10.12 or later, 64-bit processor