Default Folder X attaches a toolbar to the right side of the Open and Save dialogs in any OS X-native application. The toolbar gives you fast access to various folders and commands. You just click on the buttons to go to your favorite and recently used folders, manage the folders and files shown in the list, and make changes to your settings. It also fixes a number of problems in Open and Save dialogs, “rebounding” to the last selected file, putting the path listing back in the top menu, and correcting bugs in scrolling column views.
- Directory assistant: You can access the contents of your recent, favorite, and open folders right from Default Folder X’s toolbar.
- Real time saving: If you’re constantly saving things inside the same folder, Default Folder X can remember that folder for you.
- Finder management: Default Folder X lets you open up or save to any Finder window with a single click.
- Instant Recall: To help you quickly return to folders you’ve recently used, Default Folder X remembers them for you.
- Spotlight on the spot: Default Folder X lets you add Spotlight keywords, OpenMeta tags, and Finder labels on the spot, while you’re still in the Save dialog.
- Information central: With Default Folder X you get previews below every Open dialog, expanded to fill the available space. Need to see more detail? Click on the image and it zooms up to full size.
- Workflow without work: Rather than make you learn and set up a new application, Default Folder X blends into OS X.
- Corrected a problem that could cause Default Folder X to hang while building its menus if it encounters a corrupted alias file in a favorite or recent folder.
- Fixed Yosemite file dialogs that get larger and larger when they are invoked by clicking a button in a modal dialog. This affects Photoshop and Illustrator when running in OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite.
- Fixed a graphical glitch in the drawing of Default Folder X's bezel when certain file dialogs were presented as sheets.
- Eliminated a problem that could cause the Save button to stop functioning after renaming a file in a Save As dialog.
- Default Folder X's Get Info function now works correctly in French, German, Japanese and Danish.
- Corrected a bug that resulted in the Purchase item being included in Default Folder X's menus even if you'd already purchased a license and entered your registration code.
- If you change favorite or default folders in System Preferences, those changes now take effect immediately rather than when you close the Default Folder X preference pane.
- If you open an item within a document package, Default Folder X will not add that item's enclosing folder to its Recent Folders menu. If you want Default Folder X to add those folders, Option-click on the Settings button and turn on the "AddRecentFoldersWithinPackages" checkbox.
- Default Folder X will not try to enhance Flash Player when running on OS X 10.7 Lion because sandboxing restrictions prevent it from doing so.
OS X 10.6.8 or later